Saturday, August 13, 2016

Translation Reminder - The Return (v.4.1.3)



Completely redesigned and significantly improved!



  



Finally I was able to find some time for the chrome extension I have created quite awhile ago - Translation Reminder and able to share with you the results.



A lot was changed but the idea stay the same:



  • select a text on the page and give it the meaning or translation using Bing or Glosbe translate
  • the text will be added to your person dictionary
  • whenever this text appears on any web page it will be highlighted and you will be able to see the translation/definition of the text

In this version there were added quite a few features and made a lot of changes. Most significant are:



  • dictionary moved to separate page
  • highlighting feature improved (lesser chance to break layout of the sites)
  • added ability to attach image (using Bing search)
  • added alternative translation using Glosbe
  • learned words stay in dictionary
  • ability to edit translation
  • dictionary is synchronised across Chrome browsers on your devices
  • export dictionary into CSV file

  • enable/disable highlighting on any site from popup

  • options expanded
  • ability to specify source language
  • stylize highlights
  • specify restricted tags (to prevent broken layouts)

Hope you like it and find it even more helpful! Thanks everyone for the support!

12 comments:

  1. Is there a possibility to upload or give a comma separated formulated text to add to my dictionary in the app? Would you consider adding this option?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using an app on my phone, to gather vocabulary, and I'd like to add the collection to my chrome browser on my laptop. When I read texts there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a synch feature in development. It will make it possible to synchronize dictionary across your chrome browsers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I can export the dictionary, I'd like to import csv into it. Is that possible? I can't find the option. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's possible only when you don't have any translations in your current dictionary. So if you want to import csv you have to remove all translations on the target browser. I know it's not ideal solution, but it works. In future releases I will be adding ability to merge dictionaries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, that's great. I 've been searching for that, but wasn't sure that I really saw that after updating, and how can I bring it back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But one small thing could help a lot also. An option to delete all words from dictionary.

    I guess adding batch actions (delete, learn) with multi selections in dictionary would be more complicated, but more useful for others too. Confirming only once and/or showing an undo link for few minutes afterwards on the top of the page. What do you think about these? Could you add a delete all option?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deleting all should be easy. Going to add it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure I'm getting my extension updated automatically :( Could you comment here when you've added the function or when can I hope to see it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. dicitonary is synchronized across Chrome browsers on your devices
    (temporary disabled due to the technical issues)

    Pls turn on this feature

    ReplyDelete